Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Back in the saddle

I still had some worms left from my April 22 water donkey adventure - and my wife hates having worms in the fridge - so I decided to head back to the spillway two days later.  There was a fly fisherman working the spot that I was in last time, so I set up shop next to some flooded stairs hoping that a few fish would be hanging out around there.  Long story short, it wasn't a great place to fish with worms.  The fly fisherman was having some luck, so I decided to try tossing out a lure.  Out of sheer dumb luck, I managed to land a blue gill and another yellow bass (#MultiSpeciesDay).

Obviously, none of these little guys were water donkeys, but that's what the fly fisherman was reeling in.  He caught a 5.5 lb largemouth bass and a good-sized wiper.  Either fish would have been a trophy for me and ended up in my belly, but he was strictly a catch and release kinda guy though.

He was also friendly, and we got to talking, which wasn't easy next to the roar of the spillway and our physical separation due to social distancing.  He recommended bottom-fishing for the wipers, using anything that looked like a shad.  I might just give that a try next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment