Sunday, May 31, 2020

How to make fish tacos

The only known reader of this blog is a malcontent who's tired of hearing about wiper fishing.  Why does she keep reading it then?  Much like the number of licks necessary to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.

In an effort to please our reader though, here's something fishing related but entirely different: a recipe.  So, without further ado, here's how you turn your catch into fish tacos.

Obviously, you start by cleaning the fish.  I'm no great hand at filleting, so you can just find a YouTube video for whatever species you're dealing with.  Trust me, it's not terribly difficult, but it will be a lot easier watching it done before diving in.
Once I've got some fillets, I like to soak them in milk.  This will draw out any muddy, gamey, fishy, or otherwise untoward flavors.  Not every fish needs this step, but as far as I know, it can't hurt.  I generally give the fillets (or fish chunks) a good milk bath for a few hours to overnight in a plastic container in the fridge.
I like my fish tacos with a red cabbage slaw that's vinegar-sauced as opposed to mayonnaise-slathered because, let's face it, mayo is as gross as ketchup.  This isn't the exact recipe that I used, but it will get you started.  I can't give you all of my secrets...  Regardless, this is a good step to take care of while the fish mellows out in the milk.

Next, you need to make some beer batter.  This part is super-simple: mix equal volumes of flour and beer until the batter is smooth.  You can use any type of beer that you want, but I went with Corona to be ironic and evoke a Pacific fish taco vibe.  You should also season your batter at this point.  Let your personal preferences guide this step.  You can go simple (salt and pepper), spicy (a good Cajun or creole seasoning), classic (Old Bay), or whichever way strikes your fancy.
At this point, heat some oil in a skillet, rinse off your fish, cut it into inch-wide strips if you'd like, and coat it in the beer batter.  Be careful adding the fish to the hot oil, and start frying!
After 2 or 3 minutes, check the bottom to see how things are going.  When the fish is golden brown, give it a flip and cook the other side.
Now, this is hot work, so don't forget to stay hydrated:
Place your fried fish on a paper towel-lined plate to blot off the excess oil, and then start building your tacos.  I like wheat flour tortillas instead of the more authentic ones made of corn because I'm from Pennsylvania.  I generally top the tortilla with a piece or two of fish, a splash of hot sauce, a scoop of slaw, and a dollop of homemade lime crema.
And there you have it.  You can go from a morning catch to a delicious dinner with a few ingredients and some prep time before lunch.  Stay tuned for our next post, which will be another recipe that doesn't involve frying but is equally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment