Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Sometimes, fish shelter in place too

After another 3 days of hanging around the house since my last WDA, I needed to escape for a little while again.  It was the afternoon this time, and I didn't want to deal with the spillway, which tends to fill up as the day goes on.  Instead, I headed for a spot where the road crosses Lake Monroe, which separates an expansive cove from the lake proper by a big culvert.  I've seen people fish there before, so I figured it was a decent spot.

I started worm-and-bobber fishing on the lake side of the culvert but didn't catch anything.  It was quite windy, and my bobber would just end up back on the bank not long after I cast.  I tried to swap the bobber for some split shot to fish deeper in the water, but that was also a no go.  This went on for probably a half hour before I gave up and tried the cove side of the culvert.

I should have just started over there because on the first cast, BOOM, bass:
It wasn't a water donkey, but I'll take any fish over no fish.  He put up a running, jumping fight too, so on an ultralight rig, it was a fun fish to catch.  After that, I fished around the culvert pipe itself and landed a few panfish:

 
In the last picture, you can see part of a tree down in the water, and noticing that at the time, I decided to fish around the deadfall to see if anything was swimming around its nooks and crannies.  The first fish I caught was what I think is called a warmouth.  Regardless, he was a little fatty boombatty:
 
A variety of panfish followed, including a decent crappie (compared to the small fry).  Apparently, the fish were sheltering in place around this tree.
 
 
I'm not great at telling panfish apart.  Bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseeds, longear sunfish, etc. all look the same to me.  It doesn't help that they hybridize in nature too, but it also doesn't really matter.  I landed a bunch of fish (#MultiSpeciesDay) that were fun to catch and had a good time doing it.  None of them were keepers, but that just means I need to keep chasing the big one.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment