Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Lake Monroe Spillway wipers, the bite is on!

Due to work, family obligations, and crappy weather, it took me 10 days from my last WDA to get back out fishing.  I was able to plan a little better this time though to try to target another wiper.  I respooled the reel on my Shakespeare medium-action Ugly Stik with 12 lb test line and had time to order some Extreme Shad swimbaits from Amazon.  I was set!

I went back to the spillway on Lake Monroe at 6 AM, put one of the Extreme Shads on my biggest jig head, and cast into the current.  And then did it again, and again, and again.  Nothing.  I think I got a few takes, but I could never set the hook.  To be honest, I don't think I had the right jig heads for the Extreme Shad, which are enormous swimbaits for a guy like me who's usually reeling in sunfish.

While I still had the spillway to myself, I decided to try another of the Goture swimbaits that I used to catch my first wiper.  In no time at all, I set the hook in a beast wiper and started to fight it toward the shore.  This was a different battle than the first wiper I fought on my ultralight, and I was definitely feeling more in control.  I got the fish close enough to see, and then it spit the hook...

I'm not going to lie.  I mutter some curses, threw some rocks, and plopped down on the ground like a defeated man.

Thankfully, my stubborn streak kicked in, and I started casting the swimbait again.  That was a good decision because all of a sudden, the bite was on!  I caught fish, after fish, after fish:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If I look dazed and confused in these pictures, there's a good reason.  I have never, ever had a day of fishing go this well.  Not a single one of these fish was under 5 lb, and the biggest was a 7.5-lb, fat and sassy, 100% pure water donkey.  I think it was all the Goture swimbaits too.  Other folks had started to show up at the spillway, but I was the only one catching fish.  I saw them tossing out crank baits, flies, and even other swimbaits with similar coloring to mine, but no one was having any luck except me.  In fact, as soon as I got home, I ordered another pack.  If you're interested, check them out: https://amzn.to/3dNsY0x

No comments:

Post a Comment