Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Multi-species Monday: wipers, largemouth bass, and crappie at the Lake Monroe Spillway

After all of my recent fun at the spillway, I headed back on the morning of May 11.  I figured that I'd have another wild wiper fest on my Goture swimbait, but on my second cast, I got snagged and broke my line.  I reached into my tackle bag to find another, but apparently, I left them in the garage.

Life is cruel.

I tried to jury rig something that would work - one of the big Extreme Shad that I tried before, the largest circle hook that I had, and a 1/4 oz egg sinker - and actually got some bites.  I couldn't get a good hook up though.  At least not with a fish.  I hooked a rock just fine and was stuck again.

I tried to walk my line around the bank of the river a bit to see if I could get a good angle to free it, but nothing worked.  Swimbait rig #2 was gone.  On my walk though, I found a lipless crankbait that had washed up on the rocks.  Hey, free lure, why not try to use it?  On my first cast, I hooked into this 6.5-lb beauty and reeled her in:
With visions of fish tacos dancing through my head, I put the wiper on my stringer and tried to catch another.  Instead, I must have been casting through a school of crappie because I reeled in two in a row that were hooked in their backs:
 
I don't understand the physics behind how that happened in the water...twice no less...but I decided to target some different water so that it didn't happen again.  Not long after, something hit my lure hard, and I thought I had another wiper on my hands.  It didn't feel as big as the first water donkey that I landed, but it was still putting up a decent fight on a medium-action rod.  When I landed it though, it turned out to be a chunky largemouth bass!  I need to get a fish scale because this might have been the biggest largemouth that I've ever caught.
After a quick pic and release, I went back on the hunt for wipers but eventually lost my found lure.  What can I say?  It was a great #MultiSpeciesDay, but it was also a day of snags.  Either way, it was better than being stuck indoors.  I can't wait to wet a hook next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment